The University of Glasgow houses the world's largest collection of the work of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. These holdings are centred on the architect's Estate and the Davidson Gift.
Mackintosh died in 1928 and his Estate passed to his wife, Margaret Macdonald. Following her death in 1933, the Estate was cared for by the couple's friend and loyal patron, William Davidson, for whom Mackintosh had designed Windyhill in 1900. Following Mr Davidson's death in 1945, the Mackintoshes' heir Sylvan McNair transferred ownership of the Estate to the University of Glasgow. The Estate included over 800 works on paper and a small but important archive of photographs, papers and publications.
In 1920, William Davidson had purchased 78 Southpark Avenue, the Mackintoshes' Glasgow home, from the couple who were by then living in London. The purchase included the Mackintosh designed furniture and fixtures. Following Mr Davidson's death in 1945, his sons, Hamish and Cameron, gifted all of the Mackintosh contents to the University in memory of the Mackintoshes and their father. At the same time the University purchased the property.
Since the 1940s many important additions have been made to the Collection, through gifts, bequests, and purchase.