Beatrix Whistler, around 1887?
The Hunterian Art Gallery houses the major collection of the work of the artist and designer, Beatrix Whistler (1857-1896), née Birnie Philip. The collection was given and bequeathed to the University of Glasgow by her youngest sister, Rosalind Birnie Philip, in 1935 and 1958, as part of the estate of Beatrix Whistler's husband, James McNeill Whistler.
The Birnie Philip Gift of 1935 included six boxes containing 100 mounted drawings, paintings and etchings by Beatrix Whistler. On Rosalind Birnie Philip's death in 1958 her bequest to the University included a further 178 works by Beatrix Whistler.
In addition to these 278 items, there are several drawings and sketches in the Whistler collection which have only recently been identified as by Beatrix rather than Whistler, or her first husband, the architect and designer, E. W. Godwin (1833-1886). There are other works by Beatrix Whistler in Glasgow University Library (sketches and marginalia on letters), and the National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C..
For further biographical information, see the exhibition catalogue Beatrice Whistler Artist and Designer (Hunterian Art Gallery, University of Glasgow 1997)